Every Day

Every Day - David Levithan There are some books you read, and you learn about the entire life or the most important parts of the life of a character. Sometimes it’s their adolescence followed by a glimpse into their future, sometimes is their adulthood with small snippets of the past and/or present, but from those snippets and glimpses I can learn so much about a character. Every Day is not one of those books, David Levithan has in this book created a character whom we get to know for only 40 days, and in 40 days A, is actually 40 different people; 40 people who have 40 different stories, and the only thing that binds them together most of the time is the fact that A has inhabited their body for 24 hrs. This book was absolutely incredible. The writing style of this being that exists almost as a parasite, but more often I think A has a symbiotic relationship with the host. It is hard to even imagine a life as a wondering nomad, who travels on in space and time, but from body to body, and while the body is the outside appearance; A also has access to all memories of that person. Having been an observer of the human condition for as far as memory goes for A, the understanding that is portrayed throughout this short picture of life as A knows it does leave a profound effect on me.

“I don’t know how this works. Or why. I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago. I’m never going to figure it out, any more than a normal person will figure out his or her own existence. After a while, you have to be at peace with the fact that you simply are. There is no way to know why. You can have theories, but there will never be proof.”

At age 16 when we first meet A, A has been in existence for 5994 days, has thus inhabited all those bodies, and as accepted that this is what life is going to be like. To have experienced so many different life scenarios must be both empowering and very very lonely. I think that through A’s eyes everyone is so accepted for who and what they are which is such a challenge for all of us who have to live not just one day, but everyday with those people. Continuity is something that we understand, always things about the future, or the past and hardly ever the present, but A doesn’t struggle with the first two, 24 hours that’s it. Once A meets Rhinnon, lving in the present as A has come to accept is reality, becomes hard and complicated and unbearable. "They don’t realize that the best thing about love is its regular presence. Once you can establish that, it’s an added foundation to your life. But if you cannot have that regular presence, you only have the one foundation to support you, always.” All of a sudden the present is not enough, and the journey that these two take is one that is wholly unique to such a book. I think that A teaches us so many lessons about love, and what it can do to us all. Best summed up in this quote: "This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it’s just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be"

"I wanted love to conquer all. But love can't conquer anything. It can't do anything on its own. It relies on us to do the conquering on its behalf."

I still do not know what A is, how A came to be, or if A can actually stop drifting or shifting or whatever it is called, but I have hope, that he will be able to figure out what is really going on, and he will find peace and love, even if it is through acceptance of his nomadic spirit. Writing this review without spoilers has been a challenge, also writing without gender-specific pronouns has been a real challenge to my writing skills, I may’ve slipped up a few times but, this book was challenging, it really pushed my mind’s understand of life overall. I highly recommend it if your in the mood for something different. Give this one a try.