Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn That book had me like none I’ve read in a while. OMG! I went into this book knowing that it was going to be about dark topics, and things aren’t easy to read. But wow. I never thought it was going to be this. First of all let me say that Ms. Flynn has a way with words. She paints a picture with words like I have never experienced as yet. There are so many images to conjure, and while I was reading I was right there with the characters. In the woods as cottonweed scrapped their legs, in the mansions as they walked through the never ending rooms, and more so on that pig farm as it smelled, like I never could’ve imagined.

The characters spoke to me, in ways that I had never thought was possible. Camille the female lead was like friend more than anything else by the end of this book, I wanted to hold her, hug and tell her that there are better days ahead, because to be honest, they couldn’t get much worse. Camille is such an interesting main character, she is hurt, and recovering but I love the honesty with which she addresses her urges. She explains each cut so well, and I thought that the fact that at different points throughout the book, different words would hurt was especially interesting. It made this problem so real. It was so evident that more than anything in this world Camille needed to have those words on her body. I thought her body, and the fact that she was ashamed of what she had done to it was a dynamic that I had not really seen before. But once she was in that house with her mother who was perfect, her stepfather who was well he just was, and the little sister who had in my opinion a split personality it was easy to see why she suffered in silence so much.

Because the story is told predominantly from Camille’s point of view, some of the other characters seem very one-sided. But I did really like Richard Willis, someone who was an outsider looking in, and he clearly saw Wind Gap much like Camille did, a poor, small town, with small town minds, and small town problems, at least until these murdered occurred. And even then, it was clear that he just saw this as an assignment that if it went well would help his career, and if it didn’t oh well, it happened in the middle of nowhere to small group of nobodies. Amma who was Camille’s little sister, was in many ways just a middle schooler who was pretty and knew that and was a bully in a lot of other ways. She was clearly a troubled child, but there were moments in this book, when I thought ‘it’s just a phase, she’ll out grow it soon,’ but in fact based on Camille’s own upbringing in Wind Gap, that was not the case, it was clear that people in this town remain in the same high school cliques that they always were, and it was just sad to see that happen to so many young girls. To see how their spirit was broken by s group of mean ones, it struck a cord with me. And the change in Camille, was also very well down by the author, it was clear that Camille used to be very much like her younger sister, and now the way she views herself is very much like the people that her sister tortures. Adora who is Camille’s mother is a character that I really hope only exists in fiction, because she is really creepy, and the way she treats her daughter, its clear that Camille has never felt welcomed in her own home, it’s clear that Adora does not value Camille the same way that she values other women, and that just pissed me off, I spent much of the book wanting her to just get hit by a bus.

So would I recommend this book? I think that’s a really hard question, I have to say this while it is dark and often times depressing, I could not stop reading, it was such an addictive story line, wanting to know who the killer was, and why they would kill two little girls. And the last chapter and epilogue through me for a loop. Looking a page-turning mystery, I would definitely give this book a try.