Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods - Lauren Gallagher Now this is 166 pages I'm not used to....

I have to say I don't really like such short books, because I usually feel like the stories aren't as complete, and things get skipped over, and left unanswered. But Lauren Gallagher used every single word to her advantage, and I walked away from this book thoroughly satisfied. First of all this book is erotica at its best. OMG! Those scenes were so incredibly hot, they had be blushing, my mouth dry, and I was at work. I couldn't believe how soon the amazing steam started and it never disappointed. I think that these two had chemistry that didn't ever need to be mentioned, because it just ran off the pages.

Jocelyn is a frustrated single mother of two, when she finally breaks down and hires an escort because she's tired of the nonsensical dating that she's been doing for the past couple of years. It's clear that she just wants some mind blowing sex, and boy does she get it with Sabian. I think that it was the way he made her feel so comfortable that first time, that really got her hooked, at least for the sex part. There was even a scene with lots of naughty forbidden work sex. I loved that she really was able to respect his profession once they decided to take their relationship to the next level. She wasn't unaffected by what he did, but she understood that this was his profession, and that he had no problem in doing it. The trust that she demonstrated throughout the book, was very very reminiscent of a woman who is in her 30s, and not some lost teenage girl, which was refreshing to say the least.

Sabian who we later come to know as Austin is just the hottest escort ever, and I definitely understand why Jocelyn decided to stick around despite the issues with him being an escort. It is clear that Austin is fine with what he does, though he doesn't share his profession with everyone, he is able to hold his own against everyone. When he finally begins to fall for Jocelyn it is mostly because she is willing to accept him for what he does, and she wants to know him beyond his job. I thought he would struggle with his job more once he started to really fall for her, but then again the book was from Jocelyn's POV, and so we didn't really always know how he was feeling. I loved how the author brought up how a sex worker must feel, especially because they are so often ostracized in our society, and there were certain aspects his job that clearly bothered Austin, but he dealt with it as well as he could've. I loved the way he worshiped Jocelyn, and how he found little ways (like asking her to look in the eyes while they made love) to differentiate for her sex and intimacy.

My one serious hang up with this book, is a personal one, and it was the fact that Jocelyn saw herself as damaged soly because she was a single mom. Now I am not, but I don't think that's the case, I think single moms don't have that much of a problem, but I could be wrong.

Overall, it you can deal with the fact that Austin is an escort and proud of it, and enjoy his work, I think this is a very well written novella, and I look forward to reading more from this author. This was erotica with real emotion and plot and storyline, and it was a lovely unexpected read.