Spirit

Spirit - Brigid Kemmerer "The first day you meet, you are friends. The next day, you are brothers.”

So I want to first say that I never liked Hunter, I've never even wanted read Fearless, but now I get it, he is just such an awesome guy. He is in a difficult situation, in that he is a Fifth, but not a guide, and that his dad was both. He has been closed off from his own society, and he doesn't know what to do about the fact that he can't be trusted, nor can he trust anyone. I think he is just the kind of character that you want to be happy, but you can't see that happening.

“Because the alternative is going crazy? If you can’t fix what’s wrong, you focus on what you can make right.”"

I don't want to ruin the story for anyone, so I will say that Hunter stole my heart, when he was happy I was happy, when he was pissed I was pissed, when he was hurt, I was hurt. And he was all of these things. I think it was really cool to be able to step away from the lives of the Merrick boys in the middle of the story. And to see the life of a fifth, and not just any fifth but one who was raised by a guide. I think that Hunter has so much so say about the way the world views Pure Elementals, and also the way the world treats guides.

“I’d like to kiss you,” said Hunter softly. “But I’d really like to try it without any lies between us.”
“I don’t remember how to do that,” she whispered.
A smile found his lips. “How to kiss?”
“How to be true.”
He kissed her eyelids, first the left, then the right. “Yes you do, Kate.”"

Kate was a quite a stretch for me, for probably the first half of the book, I didn't particularity like her, but once we hear her story, its easy to see why she and Hunter have such a strong bond between them. I love how flirty and self assured she is, and also how open she is to being hurt. It's clear that she has spent a lot of time in a bubble, and it gives her a certain naive thing about her that is refreshing to see, as compared to all the guarded girls we have met in this series.

I want to say that I love how this story had a little bit of all the varying genres, it had action, and romance, and thriller, and I think it helped to make this a super quick read for me. I also loved the banter amongst the boys. There was an air of real and genuine brotherhood, that I have not seen in a while in books.

I loved Spirit, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and I can't believe I have to wait 8 months for the next book. But I'm excited for more of these characters. I just want to know how this is all going to end!