Last Hit

Last Hit - Jessica Clare, Jen Frederick 4.5 stars

"Nick is who he has been created to be, just like I am who my father shaped by into. A little mentally twisted, a little sick in the head and a lot of lonely and needing of love"

Talk about starting 2014 with a BANG!

I loved every moment of this book. The plot, the pacing, the characters, the action, even the really sad parts, they just fit perfectly.

"I see treasure beyond value. I see beauty without compare. I see your every gesture exudes pleasure and joy in even smallest things. I see delight in simply existing. I see you Daisy."

Daisy Miller has lived under her father's thumb for the last 21 years, and for the passed 10 she has lived with an agoraphobic life, because that was what her father wanted. But now she's out, and she's scared, but she's ready to start her life, on her own terms. I have to say that Daisy's character could've been a disaster, but she wasn't. While she was naive, she wasn't stupid, and she wasn't clingy, and super self concious, I loved her. I loved that she was so willing to be with Nick, and even more than that, that she still wanted to be independent. Daisy never held back her feelings from Nick, instead she stated her beliefs, and feelings, out right, and then they were able to talk through what was occurring. There is a scene at about 60% where I just knew that Daisy was the kick-ass woman that Nick needed in his life. She was just so brave, and strong, and I loved that about her. The way she knows that in the future she will have work to be with Nick, and that it will take time, but she more than willing and ready to put up with whatever comes, I just love that about her.

"I can't hate Nick. I'm still hopelessly in love him. With the bad guy. I wonder what this makes me."

Nick was just such a great character. The overall tone of the book was really set by him. I have to admit that at first Nick is a bit creepy, his stalker skills are amazing, and unsettling, but there is something about him. Something about the way he chooses his jobs, why he chooses them, that just makes you think that there is a real person in there, a real person who is more than the killer than everyone seems to see in Nick. I loved how much he wanted to love Daisy. She was his escape, and he did everything he had to ensure her safety. I think at the climax of the book, I feel head over heels in love with him, that he was willing to give up everything for this woman. The care he took to ensure her happiness I just was captivated by it. Also, the broken English sentences definitely gave me some serious lady wood ;)

This book had good pacing. It starts off slow but also really mysterious, and then we get some great moments in there, and then at 50% the action starts, and once that started I couldn't put the book down. I loved every moment. I have to say that the relationship between Nick and Daniel is the only one, I wish there was a bit more time spent on it, but I'm guessing in the other books in the series, there just might be more.

Great start to the series, and I am not so patiently waiting for the next book!