The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green This is not an average book, and I know that many people will read it, and have different feelings about it, but this book is one of a kind. The kind of book that breaks the mold of your thoughts on several different topics; what teenagers should act like, the things cancer patients should joke about, if you had one wish how would you spend it? What happens when your hero turns out to be a disappointment, and the real hero was always around. This is not a book about cancer, or about death. This is a book about love and life. It is about two people who fall into love in the most organic of ways under the most inorganic of circumstances. This is a story that is so great, that I want it to remain just mine forever, I wish I was the only one who ever read it, because Hazel and Augustus deserve to be so much more than just characters in a book. They are timeless, they’re story one that bears the marks that none before can ever bear, and none after will ever bear. In these pages is a love that is so simple, and easy and at the same time so complex and difficult, it is a love that can’t be categorized, but one that can only be experienced. I loved every character in this book, because they were all so real. So real that I wanted to go friend them on facebook ASAP. But they were also all very far from perfect (yes even Augustus Waters had faults (he played that Prince of Dawn game way too much)). And that’s what I loved. This story was far from perfect. But in all its imperfections was several instances of perfect love, perfect friendship, perfect parenting, perfect grief. I want to ramble on about every single sentence of this book, but I can’t because it would be doing it an injustice. I have to say that I came to understand and appreciate so much about the life that I have, and I have come to see the metaphors out there thanks to Augustus. I was trying to find my favorite quotes but there were so many. So I chose these three because I think they sum up the essence of this book.

“It’s a metaphor,” he said.
“You choose your behaviors based on their metaphorical resonances . . .” I said.
“Oh, yes.” He smiled. The big, goofy, real smile. “I’m a big believer in metaphor, Hazel Grace.”

“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."

“My thoughts are stars I can’t fathom into constellations.”

If you’re looking for typical, don’t bother picking up this one. But if you want a chance at being a spectator to one of the greatest love stories I have ever read, pick up this book.

Thanks Angie for pressuring me into reading this one