Golden Son

Golden Son - Pierce Brown "For seven hundred years my people have been enslaved without voice, without hope. Now I am their sword. And I do not forgive. I do not forget, So let him lead me onto this shuttle. Let him think he owns me. Let him welcome into his house, so I might burn it down."

This book was such an adventure. I think Pierce Brown has really built a word that is truly unforgettable. I cannot believe that so much could happen in just one book. After building the world of RR, it is clear that there was so much more for us to see of this universe. And who could be a better guide than Darrow?

"Mother bid me to tell you: a pauper can never be a prince. Every time you look in the mirror remember that."

So we meet Darrow 3 years after the events of the last book, he has been living and working for the house of Augustus, and has been doing very well. But I think it was so clear that Darrow had a mission in mind. He was focused, but still going through lots of motions.

"I'll be Odysseus. You be Achilles."
"Achilles dies in the end."
"Then learn from his mistakes."

I think the number one lesson of this book was nothing is what it seems, and while we make judgments all the time based on first impressions, the truth is we never really know who we are dealing with. While we all knew that Darrow was fighting for the rights of Reds, in this book it became clear to him that reds cannot do it alone, and that it is essential that all colors come to be treated as equals, because the hierarchy in itself was the failing point of the society.

"Home isn't where you're from, its where you find light when all grows dark."

And things went very dark very quickly and very often. There were so many characters who did not make it out of this book, and while I understand that with every loss Darrow grows more determined, some of those losses were very hard on me, and on many of the characters. I think the fact that we were able to really see how the world works was a wonderful change from the first book which dealt mainly with this ritual of the Golds. I loved that we really got to see people interacts with all the colors, and see that there is so much more to a person than the color they are born into. Sevro is the best character in this series so far, I can't believe the things he says at all the wrong times.

Go out and get this series if you haven't as yet. It is a game changer!

Here be lions